Introduction: Understanding IoT in Healthcare and How It Works
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a technology that enables devices to collect and share data with each other through the internet. These devices can be anything from toys to trucks, as long as they have sensors, processors, and network connectivity. With IoT, you can achieve deeper automation, analysis, and integration within a system.
IoT has emerged as one of the essential technologies of the world that is transforming various industries, especially healthcare. In this blog, we will explore how IoT in Healthcare is changing the landscape of healthcare and improving patient care.
What are the IoT devices and sensors used in healthcare?
Healthcare IoT relies on a variety of devices and sensors for collecting and transmitting data, which include:
- Implantable devices like insulin pumps or pacemakers that regulate vital functions and alert doctors in case of emergencies
- Smart medical equipment like X-ray machines, MRI machines, and infusion pumps that optimize performance and reduce errors
- Environmental sensors to monitor environmental factors like humidity, temperature, and air quality that affect health and comfort
- Wearable devices like ECG monitors, glucose monitors, and fitness trackers that measure health indicators and track activity levels
- RFID tags for tracking staff, patients, equipment, and inventory, improving asset management and security
These devices and sensors collect vital data, enable remote monitoring, analysis and improved healthcare delivery. They also integrate with electronic health records (EHR) to ensure comprehensive patient care.
What are the benefits of healthcare IoT?
IoT has a transformative impact on the healthcare industry. Here are some of the benefits of IoT in healthcare:
- Improved quality of care and reduced risk of complications and errors: IoT enables healthcare providers to track patient data, create diagnosis based on the data, and provide accurate and timely treatment.
- Reduced hospitalization rates and healthcare costs: IoT allows patients to manage their chronic conditions from the comfort of their homes. This reduces the need for frequent visits to the hospital and lowers the healthcare expenses. The best example of this is telemedicine, which is a product of IoT that offers remote consultations and diagnosis.
- Enhanced safety and security of patients and staff: IoT-powered home security systems can act as an extra protective layer that protects from any harm from the outside world. Window and door sensors, motion detectors, and smart cameras work together to help you stay secure at your home from fires, break-ins, and floods. These smart devices send data to a central controller, which then connects to the cloud via the internet. From there, you will receive real-time alerts on your phone or computer in case something unusual happens. You can also access sensor logs and camera feeds by using a user-friendly app to stay informed all the time. Similarly, IoT-enabled hospital security systems can prevent unauthorized access, theft, and vandalism of medical equipment and supplies.
Conclusion: IoT is changing the landscape of healthcare and improving patient care
IoT is a powerful technology that is revolutionizing the healthcare industry. It is creating a hyper-connected world where digital systems can monitor, record, and adjust each interaction between connected things. IoT is improving the efficiency, convenience, and innovation of healthcare delivery and enhancing the quality of life for patients and providers. Healthcare IoT Applications are the future of healthcare and we are here to help you embrace it.
One of the best examples of healthcare IoT applications is Bridgera myHealth, a solution designed with both patients and medical professionals in mind. Bridgera myHealth is an easy-to-deploy solution that consists of a web portal, a mobile app, and a cloud platform. It allows you to connect any IoT device or sensor to monitor your health data, such as blood pressure, heart rate, glucose level, and more. You can also share your data with your doctor or caregiver, who can access it through the web portal and provide feedback or guidance.
Bridgera myHealth helps you to manage your health better, reduce hospital visits, and improve your outcomes. To learn more about Bridgera myHealth and how it can benefit you, contact us today.
Search Our Blog
- IoT in Remote Patient Monitoring and Telemedicine – Healthcare IT Industry
- How IoT is Changing Healthcare and Improving Patient Care
- How Does Industrial IoT Generate New Value Stream for OEMs?
- Predictive Maintenance for Predicting Equipment Failure
- Use-Cases of An IoT based Predictive Maintenance System