About the CustomerOur customer is a leading manufacturer of laminates and laminated panels widely used in furniture. Their laminated tabletops are particularly popular with restaurants, hotels and offices all over the world. The client came up with an innovative idea of embedding Wireless Power Transmitters (WPTs) in their laminated tabletops to support wireless charging of mobile phones. With the increasing need for supporting remote work locations, this is a timely solution to allow you to work from anywhere without worrying about draining your phone’s battery.
The customer wanted to take the innovation a step further by making the WPTs smart. This required them to be connected and location aware, so that they could transmit data related to their usage from the field. They also wanted the ability troubleshoot the WPTs remotely. This was a perfect challenge for Bridgera’s IoT (Internet of Things) enablement platform.
The customer wanted a partner who could help make their WPTS connected, and subsequently provide the solution for remote monitoring and generating business insights through analysis of the field usage data.
After the initial evaluation, Bridgera was chosen for this project for its ability to quickly execute a complex IoT project by leveraging its IoT solution framework. The key components of this framework are Bridgera Monitoring (for Application Enablement), Bridgera Digital Twin (for Rapid Prototyping) and Bridgera Intelligence (Analytics engine). The combination of these powerful tools offers a strong solution framework that can simulate IoT devices, monitor and manage them remotely, and most importantly analyze and visualize the data to deliver actionable insights. The highlights of the solution are as follows.
- Bridgera created a device simulator to mimic the behavior of the WPTs. The simulators were able to transmit the current state data (busy, idle) along with the error code in case an error is encountered.
- The remote monitoring solution powered by Bridgera Monitoring was able to capture and show the current state of the devices. The user had access to the error code received from the devices and the error code helped in troubleshooting. The monitoring solution also had an option to remotely reset the device to turn it back on.
- The device usage data (charging, idle, error) was collected and saved in the cloud. By the use of advanced analytics Bridgera was able to help visualize.
- Bridgera IoT enabled the existing WPT by designing a wireless communication module along with firmware to enable communication with Bridgera Monitoring components in the cloud.
- Bridgera’s Digital Twin helped in rapid prototyping of the solution. It was replaced with the real WPT once the IoT enablement was proven.
IoT enabled smart WPTs communicate via internet.
Allows remote rebooting of the device.
Test the solution via device simulator.
Analyze and visualize the data and create custom reports.
Cuts down Hardware design cost and cycles via software.
Deliver enormous business value cost effectively.
IoT solutions may look simple on the face of it, but the underlying technology stack is complex. It needs deep expertise with cloud technologies, software development, analytics, device engineering, embedded programming, and wireless communication. Successful development and deployment of an IoT solution takes a long time and hard-to-find resources.
For this customer, we completed the IoT solution implementation in 4 months, bringing their standalone WPTs to a state of readiness for their manufacturing and sales team to launch the connected smart WPT embedded tabletops as a product capable of generating recurring revenue.
- Rapid prototyping of your IoT use-case with Bridgera Digital Twin
- Eliminate trial and error when it comes to hardware design
- Faster development & deployment of custom solution: in weeks – not months or years!
- Accelerate Go-To-Market by cutting down on time and cost to market
- Out of the box analytics for actionable insights
- Our team provides the niche technical expertise for IoT development and support
- Minimum change management: seamlessly integrate with your existing enterprise and off-the-shelf solutions